Mathew has written two books and has written for: Forbes, The Economist, The Observer, AdAge, Brand Quarterly, Clickz, Marketing Profs, Convince and Convert, and many others.
Marketing Automation for Dummies – Wiley 2014
Wiley asked me to write Marketing Automation for Dummies for them back in 2013 due to my pioneering ideas on the topic. As a key member of the Pardot team I helped drive growth by helping our customers understand how to think about automation and in the process created many of the modern best practices for automation.
While it is a ‘Dummies’ book, it is not a simple-minded read. To this day it is still the best selling resource on the topic, and opening peoples minds up to a new world of automation, not just how to automate their old ideas.
To quote one reviewer: “This book is a badly needed and the best, most comprehensive resource on the subject.”
The Context Marketing Revolution- HBR 2020
We are in the midst of a massive media revolution. For the first time in history, ordinary people around the world have the ability to create, distribute, and consume content instantly, from anywhere, using connected devices. There is now an infinite level of noise brands must breakthrough and more noise, isn’t just more, it is an entirely new media environment. This is why marketing is failing, and why old foundations are no faltering.
Sex no longer sells, there is no such thing as the ‘right message’, and consumers have staged the world’s largest boycott….against advertising. We are now in the post attention era and marketing must be born anew. Context is the new foundation of marketing.
Where attention-seeking schemes are designed to steal a person’s attention away from the task at hand, context seeks to help them achieve their goal of the moment. Context is a framework made of five elements, Available, Personal, Permission, Purposeful, and Authentic.
Past a new foundation of marketing brands must also re-think the role of marketing. Break out brands like Tesla have replaced the age-old businesses model of ‘build-market-sell’ with a business model of ‘market – sell – build – market’. Where marketing is no longer simply how to convince people to buy your products, it’s how you work with them to accomplish both of your goals.
The Context Marketing Revolution is deeply supported by significant research showcasing what separates high performing marketing organizations from everyone else, and it all begins with a new idea of marketing, not new marketing ideas.
This book will change forever how you think about the purpose and practice of marketing and what it means to be a modern brand.
Other Selected Works:
- Creative Captial Is What Your Brand is Missing – AdAge
- Three Keys To Best In Class Marketing Budgets – Marketing Profs
- Why Businesses Hold The Key to Stemming Radicalization – The Observer
- Four Keys To The Future of Retail – Forbes
- 13 Steps to Content Marketing Success – CLickz.com
- 4 Ways to build Trust and Humanize your Brand – Moz.com (2nd Most Read Article of 2015)
- 25 Marketing Automation Thought Leaders to Follow – Mashable
- Customers: The real experts when it comes to effective marketing – Mashable
- Change Management in Demand Generation: Interview – Annuitas Group
- 25% of Fortune 500 use Marketing Automation – Clickz.com (Top 10 Most Read Article of 2013)